Friday, March 12, 2010

The Ozarks are Going Medieval in May

May is going to be an exciting month around Branson. Not only can you fly through the canopy of a forest on a zip-line, I've discovered that you can also go back in time and watch a medieval castle being built using 13th century methods, techniques, and tools,

The Ozark Medieval Fortress is being built approximately 30 minutes south of Branson near Lead Hill, Ark., and is expected to take 20 years to complete which is the amount of time it took to build a fortress in the Middle Ages. In the meantime, visitors will watch as "thirty masons, carpenters and stone carvers authentically dressed" build a "genuine, full-sized, fortified castle, with 45 foot high towers, a drawbridge, and 6 foot wide stone walls surrounding an expansive inner courtyard, using the materials, techniques, and rules of the 13th century."  I envision the Ozark Medieval Fortress to be a Middle Ages version of Williamsburg, a working replica of colonial America. 


You can learn more about the history and the future plans for this exciting and educational experience HERE.  This is just one more reason for my friends and family to come visit me this summer!









                                                                
    









(these pictures were lifted from the Ozark Medieval Fortress' s publicity materials)


I am constantly amazed at the variety of activities to be found ALL ABOUT BRANSON. Every time I surf the web, I seem to find something new.I don't think I could experience everything that the Branson area has to offer even if I tried something different every day for a year. Since I can't do that, I would love for any of you who have been to Branson to tell us about some of your favorite activities or shows. You can make suggestions by clicking on  the word "comment" below and then writing in the comment box that will appear. We'd love to hear about your experiences.

                                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails