Friday, January 22, 2010

Ice Sculpting in Branson

We finally had a pretty day last Saturday with nothing to do so we HAD to get out of the house. As luck would have it, there was an ice sculpting contest going on in the Titanic parking lot so we decided to check it out. There were eleven professional ice sculptors and nine amateurs. I don't know what causes one to qualify as a professional, because they were all very impressive. They had approximately 2 1/2 hours to create their sculptures which evolved  from big blocks of ice (some used multiple blocks) to very detailed and often very delicate designs. It was a great day for the observors, but it was a little warm for sculpting from ice. In fact, one sculpture lasted just long enough to be judged and to have its picture taken before it went crashing to the ground right before our eyes. It is amazing to me what an artistic person can accomplish because I wouldn't have been able to draw most of these designs much less make a 3D representation out of ice! Although, I could agree with the 1st place winner in the professional division and I really liked the "Titanic" choice, my favorite (the angel hanging in the heart)didn't win a thing. Shows what I know.



After all of the winners had been announced, we still weren't ready to call it a day and go back to the house so we decided to go to downtown Branson and explore Dick's 5 & 10. When I stepped through the door, it was like stepping back into my childhood in the 50s. They had stuff in that store that I would have sworn was no longer being made, because I hadn't seen a lot of it since I used to walk a couple of miles to wander through the TG&Y or an old Woolsworth. The only thing missing was the grill and soda fountain in the back corner. Several years ago I went into a similar store in Fredricksburg, Texas, but it really didn't come close to Dick's.  If they don't have it at Dick's then I don't think they make it anymore. I do have to say, though, that I really don't want most of the stuff they have, but rummaging through the store and reminiscing was a great way to spend an hour or so on a lazy afternoon.  A word of warning--be aware that if you take a child in, you can easily spend several hours just looking at the toys. They have every cheap toy you ever even thought you wanted growing up plus some of the great toys that are hard to find today, like Tinkertoys and Lincoln Logs.  If you want to put together a model car or a model ship, or maybe just find the ones that you built as a kid, I think they have at least one of every model ever made. Do kids today still put together models? I doubt that very many have that kind of patience or attention span.

The front of Dick's is more like a museum than a store with its displays of model airplanes, trainsets, WWII memorabilia, and old farmhouse mementos Even if you never venture past these displays, it is worth going in just to see their fascinating collections. Another word of warning--be aware that if you take your husband in, you can easily spend several hours just looking at the trains and planes, etc.


 Although the store had quite a few customers wandering its narrow aisles, I think this will go on my list of things to do in Branson during the off-season, because I can only imagine how packed it must be in here when the streets are teeming with tourists. If you can't maneuver the sidewalks, it must be almost impossible to elbow your way around the store.



I hope you were able to enjoy the sunshine this week. I did. I know it is just January and too soon to start dreaming of spring, but we can always pretend that all of that snow is behind us. Unfortunately, since I first wrote this the weatherman has predicted the return of snow flurries here on Monday. At least we got a break for a few days. It makes life a lot more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails